New to my services?

Check me out on the web! Google me, facebook me, myspace me, or twitter me. Be sure to check out my online stores: Luna's Gifts n Treasures and Sky Clad Dreams.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The brilliance of composting.

Nowadays, so many people are turning to ‘going green.’ For those gardeners out there, we may have been going ‘green’ before it was even considered. I, myself, bought a composter about five years ago. It’s this big plastic wheel container that I use to turn scraps into ‘black gold.’ Boy does it work. I absolutely love it. I just give it a spin and let everything break down inside it.

I took some dirt and threw it in the composter. I grabbed some worms and threw them in there along with all my scraps. Scraps - carrot and potato peels, orange and apple peels, avocado skins, wilted lettuce and cores, cauliflower, broccoli and cabbage cores, egg shells, grass clippings and leaves from the fall season, basically anything except meat, fish, oils, harsh cleansers. Only use kitchen scraps. If you want to fertilize, you can do that too depending on your composter size. I have a rabbit and throw her poo in there too. I would not recommend cat or dog poo. The composter breaks down the nutrients, the worms help, and in return, you get this wonderful nutrient enriched soil that does wonders for the garden. My plants, veggies and flowers are beautiful, have big full blooms and are healthy. Plus, it saves money, cuts down on trash and you don’t have to worry about pesticides or tampering of food that you grow. You can recycle house plant dirt, you can sprinkle the dirt on your houseplants to give them nutrients when you water. It’s great. Keep an eye out on how dry it gets. I do add water to it so the worms stay comfortable and don’t dry up. They play an important role in all this. Have fun going green with compost! Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment